Planning to do a data science course from top global universities? Writing SOP for MS in Data Science is one of the important aspects you need to put effort into while planning your international education. The data science statement of purpose you provide is one of the documents that involves in the decision making process by the admission committee. But don’t worry, in this blog you’ll get complete guidance on how to write a proper data science SOP to grab admissions.
In this article, you’ll get the guidelines for countries such as the US, UK, Germany, etc and also for top universities. You can utilise the SOP format, tips and sample SOP for MS in Data Science given here. Don’t replicate everything from the given professional SOP sample, take the reference and create the one that matches your career path.
Let’s first understand what a data science statement of purpose is and why you need to consider spending time to prepare the document to pursue your studies.
Table of content
- What is a data science statement of purpose (SOP)?
- 10 tips to write SOP for MS in Data Science
- How to write the SOP for MS in Data Science?
- Ideal format for SOP for MS in Data Science
- Skills to be included in the SOP for Masters in Data Science
- Things to include in your SOP for MS in Data Science
- What is the difference in writing SOP for data science undergraduate and SOP for MS in Data Science?
- Sample SOP for Data Science
- Sample SOP for MS in Data Science with work experience
- SOP for Data Science for important countries
- SOP for Data Science in UK
- SOP for Data Science in Germany
- SOP for Data Science in USA
- SOP for Data Science in Canada
- SOP for MS in Data Science for important universities
- Technical University of Munich - Germany
- University of Oxford - UK
- Harvard University - USA
What is a data science statement of purpose (SOP)?
The data science statement of purpose is a written document which answers the open-ended questions of the universities. The document should include the interest towards the course and career, for the purpose of applying for the admission in any of the countries such as Germany, US, UK, Canada and others.
The statement of purpose for data science is the proof that shows the admission committee your individual ability, skillset, motive of choosing MS in data science, ambitions, and language. The SOP data science you submit needs to be a summary of who you are, what your academic and professional plans, background, and why you want to study the course in the country.
10 tips to write SOP for MS in Data Science
- Tone of your SOP - The tone of your SOP is important as it is the official document that needs to be considered for admission. Maintain a professional tone rather than casual.
- SOP needs to be original - Jot down the points before starting the statement of purpose for data Science and present it in a unique way. Include the managerial skills and data, computer, information technology related skills in your SOP.
- Give relevant details - Ensure the details you’re providing in the SOP are relevant to data science. You can include mathematical interests such as probability, algebra, statistics, etc and also any certifications regarding programming languages, HTML, CSS, and Python.
- Maintain the flow - Even though you’re providing details in each paragraph, you need to maintain the continuity between each.
- Be careful with your weaknesses - Mention the weaknesses and challenges you’ve overcome without overboarding it. For example, you can say: analysing the large amount of data will make me dive deeper and present efficient results which end-up in exceeding the expected time limit.
- Follow the format of the university - Though the common format of SOP is in long form essay, for SOP for MS in data science some institutes expect you to write for an open-ended question.
- Don’t give false information - The Data Science SOP is a document that will show who you are to the admission committee, so ensure that your information is true.
- Use simple language - Over 1000’s of applications, they have time to just skim your SOP. So, your data science statement of purpose needs to be in a simple, professional and understandable language.
- Proofread your SOP - After completing your SOP, check the details, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, etc.
- Avoid plagiarism - You can go through any data science statement of purpose example before writing, but copying completely is not the right way.
How to write the SOP for Data Science?
“The DATA SCIENCE STATEMENT OF PURPOSE needs to be written in a paragraph format. The paragraph of your SOP should start with an introduction, and with the details of academic qualification, professional background, work experience, career plans, and end with a conclusion.”
Follow the given 5 steps to come up with a stellar SOP and secure admission for a data science course from top universities:
Step 1: Write a compact introduction paragraph
Your data science SOP introduction carries information about yourself and then about your career objective. Create an impression in the opening line of your SOP which makes the admission officer go further.
Step 2: Provide your academic accomplishments in detail
The first paragraph should carry the details of your academic qualification, achievements, volunteerships, presentations that involve subjects like data analytics, data structure, etc, seminar and event organisation.
Step 3: Mention your professional background shortly
This specific paragraph of your SOP should contain information about your organisation, job role, projects you’ve handled, solution you’ve suggested, what made you to take the decision of pursuing the course, university and country.
Step 4: Specify your goals clearly
In this paragraph, you need to talk about the plans you have after you complete the course and the skills and how the degree will help you to achieve your goals.
Step 5: Write a killer conclusion
Summarise the data science SOP with the point why you’re capable of joining their university and how important it is to pursue the course.
Ideal format of SOP for MS in Data Science
The format of SOP for MS in Data Science needs to be in an essay, written within 2 pages containing 5-7 paragraphs in a font size of 12 with double spacing. “The maximum word limit for the SOP for Data Science will be 800-1000”. However the format will vary based on the university you choose.
Skills to be included in the SOP for Masters in Data Science
The skills included in the SOP need to be relevant with your previous education or to your job role. Below are the skills that can be included in the SOP for Masters in Data Science:
- Data Visualisation
- Machine Learning
- Big Data
Things to include in your SOP for MS in Data Science
Do you want to know how to write a SOP for MS in data science and what to include? Check out the below points to make your SOP for data science masters unique.
- A valid reason of choosing data science as your career
- The inspiration behind your choice of data science course
- The volunteership you’ve made regarding the subject
- Strategies suggested in the company and the results it produce
- Technical and non-technical skills you’ve and developed
- Certification you’ve done related to courses like machine learning, data analytics
- Projects you’ve handled and planning for
- Career plans like data scientist or data analyst or any after pursuing the data science course
- Relevant achievements or moments that made you to learn data science
- The challenges you’ve rectified in your workplace
What is the difference in writing SOP for data science undergraduate and SOP for MS in Data Science?
The difference between the SOP for Data Science undergraduate and SOP for MS in Data Science is the information that students provide in each paragraph. For bachelors’ data science students need to mention the achievements, participation, volunteership done in the schooling level, aspiration to study the course and short term goal. While in the SOP for MS in data science, the projects, internships, work experience, contribution, career plans and long term goals need to be included.
Sample SOP for Data Science
Use the below given sample SOP for data science as your reference to get admissions in the top universities.
Statement of purpose data science example
I was always curious about learning how industries and businesses work. In that learning phase, I have come to know that data plays a major role in every industry. From large scale to small scale firms, they use data to find out their consumer preference, competitor’s performance, and to forecast their sales. The scope and the practical exposure made me choose it as a career option.
My career path was chosen based on the key subjects that I was always curious to learn. Since my childhood, I have been very much interested in mathematics subjects. I was good in statistics, probability, calculus and algebra. Also, I was keen to learn about different areas of computer science and further developed an interest in learning about search engines. The interest made me do a bachelors’ program with a computer science background.
I have completed my BSc Mathematics and Computer Science in the INSTITUTE NAME with 85%. The academic life taught not only the technical knowledge but also the non-technical skills such as communication, presentation, and management skills. I was a top-performer in my academic program. I have also done certifications in programming, data structures from COURSE OFFERING NAME.
I also did an internship in the ORGANISATION NAME as a JOB ROLE and I have worked in the areas such as __________ . There I have utilised my theoretical knowledge practically and gained more technical and organisational skills. This work experience made me dive deeper into how data plays a vital role in companies and the desire of pursuing data science.
I had a discussion with my mentor about the plan of studying data science and he has suggested that I do the course in the UNIVERSITY NAME at COUNTRY NAME. As I have gone through the curriculum, infrastructure, education standard, training, and other areas, I decided that the UNIVERSITY NAME will be the perfect place to step up my career.
I believe that the knowledge I will gain from the UNIVERSITY NAME in data science will be a great step that I will ever make in my career. With the right technical knowledge learned from the data science course, I will work on my professional growth. From the knowledge and the skillset, I’m sure that I will come up with new innovative ideas and support the business with unique projects. I hope that my application gets considered to make me pursue my dream course.
Data Science statement of purpose pdf
Sample SOP for MS in Data Science with work experience
Check out the below sample SOP for MS in data science to know what to include and what not.
Statement of purpose for Masters in data science
I was grown by seeing the fast changing trends in the technology world. Computer and Information technology become a major part in everyone’s life and the boom of artificial intelligence excites my interest. While getting deeper into the technical details, I have figured out that data plays a crucial role in every sector. This made me realise that I want to do MS in data science, and decide what my career path needs to be.
As I was interested in learning more about the computer and technology world, I decided to do my bachelor’s degree in Computer Science in the INSTITUTE. Those 3 year academic journey were a life-changing experience, where I discovered myself, my abilities and skills by involving myself into not only academic related events but also into non-academic activities. The program triggered my interest in learning more about the world of technology. This made me choose a job that helped me grow professionally.
After my bachelor’s program, I worked as a JOB ROLE in the ORGANISATION NAME. There I have worked in applying the programming languages and involved in testing and JOB RESPONSIBILITIES. The projects I have worked on are E-COMMERCE WEBSITE. The experience helped me a lot to learn about HTML, CSS, etc. In the phase of finding a solution for the complex project, I have done a deeper research which made me realise the world of data science.
To widen my knowledge and skills, I planned to pursue MS in Data Science. I always have a desire towards international education. It was one of my goals that I want to do my masters’ program abroad. The research of knowing the culture of the COUNTRY and the records, events, achievements of the UNIVERSITY is my never-ending craving. To fulfil my long term desire I have decided to do MS in Data Science at UNIVERSITY NAME.
The curiosity of knowing the bigger picture of every industry made me apply for the MS in Data Science at UNIVERSITY NAME. As it’s my desire to study in the UNIVERSITY NAME and the program I chose will make a great step for my professional development. I wish I will fulfil my desire and move in the right direction with the skills and knowledge I acquired from the data science program. I’m eager to hear about the consideration of my application.
Sample sop for MS in Data Science pdf
SOP for Data Science for important countries
Below are the requirements that you need to look into, if you’re writing SOP for Data Science for any of these countries.
SOP for Data Science in UK
- The UK universities requires 500-800 words long essays for the SOP.
- The academic history and the experience that are relevant to the course to be included in the SOP.
- The SOP needs to be written in formal English language with proper grammar and punctuation.
- The SOP data science needs to answer the questions such as why you are interested in studying at this university, why you have chosen this course, what are your career plans.
SOP for Data Science in Germany
- The SOP required in German universities is a one page statement in an A4 or letter format, with a font size 12 in single spacing.
- Some universities doesn’t require more than one page, exceeding may end-up getting less points
- The declaration note needs to be given at the final of your SOP data science.
- You can include your projects, internships, and other work experience in your SOP.
SOP for Data Science in USA
- Share your past experience and the impact it created in your personal and professional path.
- The SOP data science can be written with the word limit of 250 - 1000.
- The margin of your document should be at least one inch and left and right margins need to be equal.
- State the reason for choosing the course and which part of the course excites you to pursue the MS in data science.
SOP for Data Science in Canada
- The interest of choosing the subject and your academic interest need to be mentioned in the data science statement of purpose.
- Explain your past education, experiences and others have moulded you to pursue the program.
- By pursuing the data science program what you’re going to learn and achieve, needs to be mentioned in your SOP.
- Mention what made you choose the program in the particular university, in your SOP.
SOP for MS in Data Science for important universities
Some of the top universities in the popular destination have the requirements to write the SOP for MS in data science. Check the guidelines below:
Technical University of Munich - Germany
- The university has open-ended questions which need to be answered in your SOP.
- The statement of purpose needs to be in a one page long form essay written in 12 font with single line spacing.
- In the conclusion of your SOP, you need to include a declaration note that the information provided is true.
- The relevant information such as internships, academic achievements, professional experience, skills, etc need to be included in the SOP.
University of Oxford - UK
- Explain your academic interests and the reason for applying for the university and course.
- Describe how your academic and other experiences have made you choose the career path and the direction to choose the course.
- Mention your experience, skills and ability with the evidence.
- State how the course will help you to achieve your long-term career goal and help you in professional growth.
- Plagiarised SOP will not be accepted by the university.
Harvard University - USA
- The statement of purpose you provide needs to be written on your own. It should not be plagiarised or written by any third party organisation.
- The paragraphs written in the SOP need to be in double line spacing.
- The maximum length of Harvard data science sop is 1500 words.
- Your SOP needs to be written in English, other languages are not preferred.
The SOP for Data Science is a perfect document for presenting yourself, your skills, your career, academic and professional background to the admission committee and persuading them to give the admission. Follow the sample SOP for MS in Data Science given in this article and the tips to stand out from the crowd. You can also reach Kanan International, a leading study abroad consultancy for SOP writing services.