Canada vs India
Canada vs India - which is better? Before concluding, let’s review the facts. Every year, many Indians move to Canada for study, work or migration purposes despite an expensive visa. As per the IRCC Report 2022, Indians contribute 32% of permanent residents admitted. Nevertheless, comparing the standard of living, education, jobs, etc., between India and Canada can help you make an informed decision. So, let’s discuss these factors in detail.
Benefits of Living in Canada
Following is the list of benefits of living in Canada. While moving abroad, keep these factors in mind.
- High Standard of Living - Canada has a high standard of living, ensuring basic needs, like drinking water, clean air, etc. They offer corrupt-free services to all.
- Quality Education - Education is free for children up to 16 - 18 years. For higher education, Canadian universities are among the top 30 in QS World University Rankings and attract millions of international students.
- Free Healthcare System - Since Canada has the best healthcare infrastructure facilities and medical insurance, it guarantees a free healthcare system.
- Safety and Security - Canada is a peaceful country where people of different races and ethnicity are easy to go along with. There is a low crime rate and social stability.
- Cultural Diversity - Canada is built by people from different parts of the world. So, they always embrace different cultures and ethnicities.
- Huge Job Market - Top companies, like Google, KPMG, IBM, and online job portals are available for freshers. So it’s easy to get a job in Canada right after graduation.
- Low Living Cost - Compared to other English-speaking countries, Canada has a low cost of living, which includes rent, public transportation, accessories, groceries, etc.
- Tourism - Canada features a diverse landscape used exclusively for tourism. Niagara falls, Old Quebec, and Whistler are some of the famous tourist destinations.
- Social and Political Stability - Canadian government provides political and social stability. There is no political turmoil, strikes, processions or outbursts seen.
- Welcoming Immigrants - To fill the employment gap, Canada attracts skilled migrants across the globe. In 2022, Canada welcomed 431,645 new permanent residents (PRs).
Benefits of Living in India
If you’re wondering how good India is, compared to other countries, check out the following list of the benefits of living in India.
- Low Cost of Living - Despite being the 6th largest economy, India’s cost of living is low, unlike other countries like the US, China, Japan, etc.
- Favourable Climate - India is best for its favourable climate, and accommodating people across the world. Almost 90% of the Indian landmass is suitable for living.
- Tourist Attractions - India features some of the world’s famous attractions like the Taj Mahal, the Himalayas, etc. Tourists visit India for ancient monuments, spirituality, healthcare, adventure, and serene natural spots.
- Good Education System - In India, education is a fundamental right, free for children up to 14 years of age. For higher education, universities are striving to achieve international standards. However, they offer skilled labourers.
- Quality Food - India is blessed with a variety of natural resources. That’s why they produce good quality food. They follow age-old cooking to ensure it’s healthy.
- Traditional Festivals - Due to its diverse and rich culture, Indians give importance to traditional festivals and celebrate them every year.
- Welcome Culture - India is fond of foreigners, and they welcome them with joy. Since India has tourist places everywhere, they know how to treat people from abroad and make them feel good and comfortable.
- HealthCare and Insurance - India is booming in the healthcare industry. Recently, they've been equipped with the latest technology necessary for treatment. Citizens have become cautious about health, taking medical insurance just in case.
1. Canada vs India: Standard of Living
The standard of living is measured based on a person’s material wealth. If there are high employment opportunities and high income, there is a high standard of living. Since an individual (skilled/unskilled) finds a job easier in Canada than in India with a high income, Canada is to have a high standard of living. In the latest Human Development Index (HDI) report, Canada is 15th, and India is in the 132nd position based on three critical factors.
In Canada, the average earring of a skilled worker is $75,000 per year. Whereas in India, the average salary is INR 3,50,000 per year or ₹30,000 per month (488.40 CAD). It shows that Canadians have more purchasing power. In fact, Canada is among the top 10 countries that provide the best quality of life, ensuring employees’ work-life balance.
2. Canada vs India: Education System
Canada and India provide free education to children from 6 to 14 years (some Canadian provinces offer up to 16 - 18 years). In terms of quality education, Canada surpasses India. The education system in Canada comprises kindergarten, public & private schools, and universities. Here, private schools charge CAD 6,000 - 26,000 per year. But, the government gives subsidies in the tuition fee and scholarships in Canada for Indian students.
When it comes to tertiary institutions, Canada has some of the best. In the 2023 QS World University Rankings, Canadian universities are among the top 50s, like McGill University in 31st, the University of Toronto in 34th, and the University of British Columbia in 47th position. On the other hand, Indian universities are among the top 200s. For example, the Indian Institute of Science is 155th, IIT Bombay is 172nd, and IIT Delhi is in 174th position.
Because of this, many Indians study abroad in Canada for bachelor’s & master’s degrees, with the eligibility criteria like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE scores, fee structure, credits, etc. They mostly choose Medicine, IT, Law, or MBA programs. Meanwhile, Canada offers SDS and Non-SDS visas for international students to gain visas swiftly. And after graduation, students can apply for PR, provided the requirements are met.
3. Canada vs India: Cost of Living
The term “cost of living” means the money required to meet basic needs like housing, food, transportation, healthcare, etc. Since the value of a Canadian dollar is 61.42 Indian rupee, it’s obvious that Canada has a higher cost of living compared to India. For a better understanding, the cost of living in India vs Canada is given below.
|The Average Cost of Living in India vs Canada|
|Accommodation||1,500 - 3,000 CAD per month||INR 5,000 - 15,000 per month|
|Food expenses||150 - 250 CAD per month||INR 500 - 2000 per week|
|Utility costs||300 CAD per month||INR 8,000 per month|
|Transportation||80 - 150 CAD per month||INR 1,000 - 3,000 per month|
|Health & Medicine||$550 CAD per month||₹2,000 per month|
|Education (Tuition Fee)||$15,000 - $23,000 per year||₹2 - 5 Lakh per year|
|Miscellaneous||200 CAD per month||INR 1000 per month|
From the above information, it’s obvious that:
- Food prices are 502.67% higher in Canada than in India
- House rent prices are 750.90% higher in Canada than in India
- Healthcare prices are 28 times higher in Canada than in India
- Transportation prices are 100.23% higher in Canada than in India
- Education costs are 143.20% higher in Canada than in India
However, the monthly income, purchasing power and living standards are better in Canada.
4. Canada vs India: Employment Opportunities
Without any second thought, Canada offers better employment opportunities than India. The job market in Canada for international students is one step ahead of other English-speaking countries due to co-op facilities for students, high-salaried jobs, work-life balance and a hybrid working model. Also, there are various avenues available to easily get a job, like Talent Egg, Job Fairs, networking events, and online portals.
The average salary in Canada is between CAD 55,000 and CAD 107,000 annually, while in India, the average salary for skilled labourers is between 4 lakhs to 15 lakhs per annum. Some key employee benefits in Canada include vacation leave, pension contributions, employment insurance, paid time off and survivor benefits for those who’ve passed away.
Check out the top paying jobs in Canada vs India in the table below.
|Top Paying Jobs in Canada vs India|
|Cloud Architects||Medical Doctors|
|IT Project Manager||Marketing Manager|
|Data Scientists||Blockchain Developer|
|Full-Stack Developers||Product Management|
|DevOps Engineers||Chartered Accountant|
|Business Intelligence Analysts||Investment Banker|
|AI and Machine Learning Expert||Full Stack Software Developer|
|Cloud Systems Engineers||Machine Learning Professionals|
|Digital Marketers||Management Consultants|
|Cyber-Security Officers||Commercial Pilots|
Other than the above information, there are also other highest paying jobs in Canada.
5. Canada vs India: HealthCare
In the 2022 World Health Statistics Report of WHO (World Health Organization), Canada ranks higher than India because Canada has a better healthcare system and is easily accessible. Canadian Medicare is universal and decentralised. Here, health insurance is funded by the Canadian government, ensuring free service in hospitals. Permanent resident holders can benefit from Medicare and gain financial coverage for prescribed medicines.
On that side, India is popular for medical tourism, especially traditional medicines like Ayurveda, Siddha, Yoga, Neuropathy and Homeopathy. Even though India has more hospitals, clinics, doctors & nurses than Canada, they fall behind due to a lack of health infrastructure, a larger population, poor access to remote areas, no insurance coverage, etc.
Astonishingly, during the Covid-19 pandemic, India was among the least affected due to timely preventive measures by the public & private sectors and vaccinating citizens.
6. Canada vs India: Safety and Crime Rate
In terms of Safety and Crime Rate, Canada registered less crime than India. In the 2022 Global Peace Index (GPI), Canada ranks 12th, and India ranks 135th position. It reveals that Canada is a safer and more peaceful place to live.
The Global Peace Index produced by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), determines the state of peace across three different factors:
- The level of Societal Safety and Security
- The extent of Ongoing Domestic and International Conflict
- And the degree of Militarisation
Recently, an Indian student who works at a departmental store in Ontario said, “This is a friendly country. At 20, I have a job here. Canada makes me feel independent and confident, and I am happy to be here.” Similarly, another student said, “This is such a peaceful country with fun-loving and helpful people.”
7. Canada vs India: Climate and Weather Conditions
India is a relatively warm country, suitable for living. But Canada is one of the coldest countries in the world, with very short summers and more freezing winters. The average temperature of India recorded 26.03 degrees Celsius as it’s located in the tropical zone, while Canada’s average temperature was 2.1 °C (35.78 °F) as it’s in the temperate zone.
When Indians move to Canada, they must be aware of extremely cold weather, strokes, infectious diseases due to climate change, endemic, etc. As far as pollution is concerned, Canada absorbs clean air and water. And India is suffering from air pollution in the northern parts.
Canada vs India: Which is better?
By comparing Canada vs India, you would know that Canada promises a better standard of living, highly-paid jobs for skilled workers, a safe place to live, free healthcare services, and lots more. While India is striving to achieve the best safety standards, health insurance for all, necessary infrastructure, quality education, etc.
Based on the above factors, it is clear that Canada is better than India for study, work or migration purposes, thus attracting millions of immigrants across the globe every year.
1. Which is better, living in Canada or India?
Canada is better than India in living because Canada has a better standard of living, high-salaried jobs, a low crime rate, free healthcare services, public infrastructure, quality education, etc. And as per the 2022 Human Development Index (HDI), Canada is 15th, and India is in the 132nd position.
2. Is Canada richer than India?
Yes. Canada is richer than India. The GDP per capita of Canada is $46,150, whereas GDP per capita of India is $6,125 as of 2020.
3. Is Canada good for Indians?
Absolutely, Canada is good for Indians. Many Indians have moved to Canada in the recent past for study or better job opportunities. Canada also offers permanent residence (PR) for international students who meet the eligibility criteria.
4. Why do people choose Canada over India?
Since Canada has a better standard of living and more purchasing power than India, people choose Canada over India. Moreover, Canada provides a better education, healthcare, a safer place to live, and, more importantly, job opportunities.
5. How much is a good salary in Canada?
A good salary in Canada is CAD 45,855 per year, which is $3,821 per month or $14.1 per hour.
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Roshan Sunthar
GRE Requirement for MS in Canada
Web Developer Salary in Canada
SOP For International Business Management
What is GRE Quantitative Reasoning?
Retaking the GRE
CA Salary In Canada
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Roshan Sunthar
A truly global higher education partner to learners and education institutions Support learners at every point in their global education journey with reliable services, products and solutions.
Kanan Int EdTech Inc
229, Yonge Street Suite 406 Toronto Ontario, Canada M5B 1N9
Kanan International Pvt. Ltd.
D-wing, 2nd Floor, Trident Complex, Ellora Park Vadiwadi Road, Vadodara, Gujarat 390007
IT/ Digital Campus
132, Habibullah Rd, Satyamurthy Nagar, T. Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600017
Study Abroad Consultants in Bangalore
Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai
Study Abroad Consultants in Surat
Study Abroad Consultants in Navsari
Study Abroad Consultants in Bardoli
Study Abroad Consultants in Ahmedabad
Study Abroad Consultants in Anand
Study Abroad Consultants in Khanna
Study Abroad Consultants in Nadiad
IELTS Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
GRE Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
TOEFL Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
SAT Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
Copyright © 2023 KANAN.CO All rights reserved.