September/Fall Intake in USA 2023 - 2024
The USA is a highly preferred study destination as it has renowned universities, research facilities, and part-time programs. As per Statista's record, 948,519 international students studied in the US in 2021-22. The US State Department issued 125,000 student visas to Indian students in 2022. With its educational and research excellence, US universities attract thousands of applicants worldwide every calendar year. The fall intake in USA , also known as September intake, is the most popular admission intake, offering a wide range of courses for funding, scholarship, and internship purposes.
The fall semester is the best choice among international students pursuing a master's degree in the USA. The fall intake in USA begins in August and ends in December. US Universities are currently announcing application deadlines for the fall intake in 2023. Securing a place in universities in the US for the fall intake can be highly competitive due to the large number of applicants. In this blog, you’ll get to know the advantages of the fall intake, universities, application procedures, and more.
Table of contents
- Intakes in USA
- What is fall intake in USA?
- Benefits of Fall/September Intake in USA
- Fall Intake Universities in USA
- Timeline and Deadline for September/Fall Intake in USA
- Timeline for Entrance Exam for the Fall intake
- Deadlines for Fall Intake in US
- Documents required to apply for Fall intake in USA
- How to apply for the fall intake in USA?
- Tips for students applying for fall intake in US
Intakes in USA
There are two intakes in USA: the fall intake and the spring intake. The fall intake is the most popular choice among students and typically begins in late August or early September and ends in December or early January. On the other hand, the spring intake starts in January and extends until May. The deadlines for the spring intake generally fall between July and December of the previous year. And the third intake is the summer intake although it has limited universities offering courses.
|Late August 2024 or September 2024||September–December 2024 /early January 2024|
|January 2024||January–May 2024|
|Summer Intake||May 2024||May-August 2024|
What is fall intake in USA?
The fall or September intake in USA begins in late August or early September and ends in December. It is one of the highly preferred intakes by international students who plan to study abroad after graduation or after class 12th for undergraduate programs.
This is because it offers a wide variety of courses and more financial support compared to other intakes. Students can choose from a range of programs and have a better chance of receiving funding to cover their education expenses. Overall, the fall intake is a popular choice for international students seeking higher education opportunities in the USA.
Benefits of Fall/September Intake in USA
The Fall intake in the USA offers many advantages and is considered the preferred admission season for most universities. It provides a wide range of opportunities for students who want to study in USA to enhance their academic experience and prepare for their future careers. Below are the benefits of fall/September intake in USA.
- Higher chances of acceptance: During the Fall intake, universities are admitting more students which increases your chances of getting accepted into your desired program.
- Access to better courses: Since the Fall intake is the beginning of the academic year, universities in the USA tend to offer a wider selection of courses. This means that you'll have more options to choose from when deciding on your program of study.
- Saves time: Starting your program during the Fall intake allows you to complete your studies without any breaks or unnecessary delays. The academic session typically begins in late August or early September, which coincides with the end of most semesters.
- Better job opportunities: The Fall intake happens at the start of the academic year, which means that there are more opportunities for internships and jobs. You'll have more time to investigate and apply for these positions, which will enhance your overall college experience.
- Networking and on-campus activities: Since the class sizes tend to be larger during the Fall intake, you'll have more opportunities to connect with your peers and participate in extracurricular activities. This will lead to gaining valuable networking opportunities that can help you in your future career.
- More scholarships and financial aid: Many universities in the USA offer more scholarships and financial aid opportunities during the Fall intake. Applying during this season can increase your chances of receiving financial assistance, which can make your college education more affordable.
Fall Intake Universities in USA
If you’re planning to apply for the fall/September intake in the US, then here is the list of universities that accept applications for that intake.
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- UC Berkeley
- Brown University
- Texas A&M
- University of Minnesota
- North Carolina State University
- Colorado School of Mines
- Columbia University
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- University of Chicago
- Duke University
- University of Pennsylvania
- California Institute of Technology
- Ohio State University
- Virginia Tech
- Georgia Tech
- University of Colorado Boulder
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Boston University
- Arizona State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- New York University
- University of Notre Dame
- Michigan State University
Check the below table to know the deadlines for the top-ranking US universities.
|Name of University||QS Ranking 2023||Deadlines for Fall Intake|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||1||November 1, January 1|
|Stanford University||3||January 5|
|Harvard University||5||November 1, January 1|
|California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||6||November 1, January 3|
|University of California Berkeley||27||November 30|
|Brown University||63||January 5|
|Texas A & M University||164||March 1|
|University of Minnesota||185||January 1|
|North Carolina State University||312||November 1|
|Colorado School of Mines||501-510||January 15|
Timeline and Deadline for September/Fall Intake in USA
The September 2023 intake in the USA is highly sought after, and it is essential to complete the necessary steps in specific order to apply to universities within the appropriate time frame. Check the below table to understand the timeline you need to follow to steal the fall admissions.
|Nov-Dec 2023||Research universities in the US and create a list of shortlisted universities to apply to.|
|Jan-Feb 2024||Take the required standardized tests such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc. as per university requirements.|
|March 2024||Prepare an academic resume, transcripts, proof of English language competence, test results, letters of reference (LOR), and more.|
|April-July 2024||Apply to universities with the required documents and complete all necessary steps, including interviews and documentation.|
|June-July 2024||Apply for financial aid or scholarships and student visa.|
|July 2024||Begin preparations for the session, book flight tickets and get ready to fly.|
Please note that the above mentioned timeline applies to all courses like MS, MBA, etc.
Timeline for Entrance Exam for the Fall intake
For undergraduate and most postgraduate programs, entrance exams are required. Some of the tests that need to be cleared include IELTS, TOEFL GRE, GMAT, etc. These exams are crucial for international programs, as they test your ability to handle the academic coursework in US universities. A high score on these exams is needed to showcase your readiness for your studies in the US. Check the below requirements.
English proficiency exam
To apply for the September intake in USA, it is necessary to take an English proficiency test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or Duolingo. These exams are not only required for the US but for any country where English is the native language. The purpose of these tests is to show that you have strong English communication skills and can handle university coursework and conversations. Each university has a minimum score requirement, typically a TOEFL score of 100 or an IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Most universities in the US accept either the TOEFL or IELTS, but it's important to check the admission requirements of each university. A high score on any of these tests indicates that you have a solid foundation in the English language. While preparing for these exams, keep in mind that you can retake them as many times as you want, but the test fee remains the same for each attempt.
When applying to universities in the US, it is important to remember that English proficiency tests are not the only exams required. Most universities also require students to take course-specific exams such as the GRE and GMAT, so it is important to clear them before beginning the application process. For MS programs, the GRE is a must, while the GMAT is more acceptable for MBA programs. Students applying for undergraduate courses must submit SAT or ACT scores as per the requirements of the universities. These exams test your logical and quantitative reasoning skills. The higher your score, the better your chances of being admitted to the university of your choice.
Deadlines for Fall Intake in US
There are two types of deadlines: priority and regular. Applying within the priority deadline allows you more time to evaluate decisions and consider applying to additional universities (if needed). Check the below table to understand the deadlines for fall intake in US.
|Type of Application||Application Deadline||Admission Decision|
|Early Action||November 2023||December 2023|
|Early Decision||November 2023||December 1|
|Regular Decision||January/February 2024||March/April 2024|
|Rolling Admission||Varies||Usually within 4-6 weeks|
These deadlines are subject to change, and it is essential to double-check the specific deadlines for each university you are interested in. International students should be aware that deadlines for them are often earlier than those for domestic students. It is crucial to verify the deadlines and submit your applications accordingly. Once you have submitted all your required documents and completed the application form, you will need to wait for the outcome of the fall intake application process at the universities you have applied to.
Documents required to apply for Fall intake in USA
While applying for the fall semester, students need to prepare the necessary documents. It is important to be aware of the documents that need to be submitted for the upcoming intake. Below is the list of documents.
- Transcripts of the previous qualifying examination
- Official Marksheet of class 10th and 12th
- GRE or GMAT scores
- Admission Essay
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- 2-3 Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Valid Passport
- English proficiency test scores: IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE
- Passport size photographs
- Application fees (vary by university)
- Standardized test scores (GMAT/GRE for graduate courses, SAT/ACT for undergraduate courses)
- Work experiences (if needed)
- Certificates for extra-curricular activities
- Application confirmation copy
- Proof of Funds
The requirements may vary among universities, so it's important to review the application guidelines and check with each institution for their specific document requirements.
How to apply for the fall intake in USA?
- Research universities and programs: Start researching universities and programs in advance, usually in the summer or early fall before the application deadlines. Look for schools that are ranked higher, offer your preferred program, and fit your personal preferences, such as location, size, and cost.
- Take standardized tests: Most US universities require international applicants to submit scores for standardized tests such as the IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, PTE, etc. Take the required tests as early as possible and ensure that the scores will be available by the application deadline.
- Gather required documents: Collect all the necessary documents for your application, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statements, essays, and proof of English proficiency. Make sure to follow the guidelines for each university and program.
- Complete the application: Fill out the online application for each university and program you are applying to. Be sure to double-check the application before submitting it to avoid errors or missing information.
- Submit application fee: Pay the application fee for each university you are applying to. This fee varies by institution and can be expensive, so plan accordingly.
- Track your application: Keep track of your application status through the online application portal or email updates. Make sure that the universities receive all your required documents and follow up if there are any issues.
- Receive admission decision: Universities will notify applicants of their admission decisions typically by email or letter. If you receive an acceptance letter, review the offer carefully, including scholarship and financial aid information.
- Apply for a student visa: If you are accepted, you will need to apply for a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the US. This process can take several months, so apply as soon as possible. You will need to provide documentation such as your acceptance letter, proof of financial support, and a passport.
- Prepare for arrival: After receiving your student visa, start preparing for your arrival in the US, such as booking flights, arranging housing, and getting health insurance. Check with your university for any additional requirements or recommendations.
Tips for students applying for fall intake in US
- Create an organized spreadsheet or document to keep track of the universities you're interested in, their deadlines, fees, and other relevant information.
- Plan and execute a study schedule to effectively balance your exam preparation and daily activities.
- Pay close attention to the application deadlines of each university on your list. Some universities have priority deadlines in November or December, while others may have different deadlines.
- Remember that the specified months refer to the year prior to your intended starting year. For example, if you plan to start your master's program in Fall 2024, you should follow the application process in 2023 during the corresponding months.
- Keep copies of all the necessary documents, such as academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, essays, and proof of English proficiency, ready for submission.
- Check your email regularly and respond promptly to any communication from the universities, such as requests for additional documents or interviews.
- Once admitted, make necessary arrangements for student visa application, finances, accommodation, and travel.
1. When is fall intake in USA?
The fall intake in USA starts in late August and ends in December. The fall intake is also known as the September intake.
2. What is the last date to apply for fall 2023?
The last date to apply for fall 2023 is the end of July 2023. As the intake period fall between August and December, the application submission will end in July. To know the exact date, you need to visit the university website.
3. Why fall intake is best for USA?
The fall intake in USA is the most preferred choice of international students because of their high acceptance rate, scholarship opportunities, internship opportunities, wide range of course choices, etc.
4. When should I apply for US colleges?
Most universities expect international students to submit applications for early action or early decision by November of 12th grade.
5. How much gap is acceptable for study in USA after 12th?
A one-year study gap is acceptable to study in USA after the 12th. If a student has more than 1 year, a valid reason and proof of evidence need to be provided. This study gap acceptance year may vary from university to university, for clear information, refer to the official website.
About Author Arivarasi
Arivarasi is an experienced author with expertise in the study abroad industry and preparing test materials for exams like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, SAT, PTE, etc. She stays up-to-date with university and college requirements for international students which allows her to provide guidance on course selection, documents like SOP, LOR, and scholarship opportunities. She has written numerous articles on study abroad exams, destinations, universities & colleges requirements, admission procedures, and the entire process of studying abroad. Collaborating with industry experts and counselors, she crafts informative articles that make students take the right decisions.
More Articles Post by Arivarasi
Kanan International is an IRCC-certified study abroad consultancy that offers reliable services, products, and solutions for students and education institutions. We support students throughout their study abroad journey, ensuring a hassle-free experience. Our expertise and commitment to excellence make us the go-to partner for expanding global horizons. The company provides coaching for IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, and SAT exams and services like visa consultation, accommodation, scholarship assistance, and education loans.
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Arivarasi
What is the Software Engineer Salary in Germany?
Duolingo Accepted Universities in UK
Student accommodation in Canada for International Students
A Guide to OFC Appointment for USA Visa
PTE Accepted Colleges in Canada 2023
September/Fall Intake in USA 2023 - 2024
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Arivarasi
A truly global higher education partner to learners and education institutions Support learners at every point in their global education journey with reliable services, products and solutions.
Kanan Int EdTech Inc
229, Yonge Street Suite 406 Toronto Ontario, Canada M5B 1N9
Kanan International Pvt. Ltd.
D-wing, 2nd Floor, Trident Complex, Ellora Park Vadiwadi Road, Vadodara, Gujarat 390007
IT/ Digital Campus
132, Habibullah Rd, Satyamurthy Nagar, T. Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600017
Study Abroad Consultants in Bangalore
Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai
Study Abroad Consultants in Surat
Study Abroad Consultants in Navsari
Study Abroad Consultants in Bardoli
Study Abroad Consultants in Ahmedabad
Study Abroad Consultants in Anand
Study Abroad Consultants in Khanna
Study Abroad Consultants in Nadiad
Study Abroad Consultants in Vadodara
IELTS Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
GRE Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
TOEFL Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
SAT Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
January intake universities in UK
MBA in USA for Indian Students
Canada vs Australia for Indian Students
Copyright © 2023 KANAN.CO All rights reserved.