IELTS Exam Fee 2023
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world's most popular English proficiency test, which assesses non-native English speaker's ability to communicate effectively in everyday situations. If you want to study abroad, consider taking the IELTS exam before applying for admission to your chosen university. Also, the IELTS exam is used by employers worldwide to select candidates for entry-level positions in many countries. In this guide, you will know about the IELTS exam fee in 2023 and related information.
The IELTS exam fee in India is Rs.16,250. The fee is applicable for both computer-delivered tests and paper-based tests. You may also incur other IELTS exam fees based on your situation like rescheduling fees, cancellation fees, and rechecking fees. Let's see about the different fees involved with the IELTS exam in this article.
Table of Content
- What is the fees for IELTS exam in India?
- IELTS test types and fee
- IELTS Academic Exam Fee and IELTS General Exam Fee
- What is IELTS Exam Cancellation Fee and Refund Policy?
- IELTS Rescheduling fee
- IELTS Retake Fee
- IELTS Rechecking or Remarking Fee
- IELTS Special Handling Request
- Fee for Additional TRF (Test Report Form)
- Scholarship for IELTS Exam Fee Waiver
- IELTS Fee Reduction
- Modes of IELTS fee payment
- FAQ for IELTS exam fee in India
What is the fees for IELTS exam in India?
The IELTS exam registration fee in India is Rs. 16,250. The fee may vary depending on the test type and test mode you choose. Candidates can make the payment using any of the available digital payment modes and schedule the test by confirming the amount.
IELTS test types and fee
If you are confused about the fees of IELTS, refer to the following table to know the IELTS test fee for the different types of exams:
|Test type||Fee in INR|
|Computer-delivered IELTS for UKVI||16,500|
|Pen and paper-based IELTS||16,250|
|IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration||16,500|
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)||15,350|
IELTS applicants have to confirm the type of exam, the mode of the exam they are going to appear in, and the slot availability before paying the IELTS test fee in India. The IELTS exam fee can be paid through online mode.
IELTS Academic Exam Fee and IELTS General Exam Fee
Both IELTS academic exam fees and IELTS general exam fees in India are ₹16,250. This cost applies to paper-based and computer-delivered test modes.
Recommended links to read:
|IELTS Score for Canada||IELTS Exam Dates||IELTS Score Validity|
|IELTS Speaking Topics||IELTS Reading Tips||IELTS Preparation Books|
|IELTS Band Score||IELTS Academic vs General||IELTS Exam Pattern|
What is IELTS Exam Cancellation Fee?
There might be occasions when you can't take the IELTS test as planned and want to cancel your registration. If you decide to cancel over five weeks before your test date, you can do so and get a refund. A 25% administration charge will be incurred as an IELTS exam cancellation fee. You'll receive a refund of the remaining amount. The refund policy may be as follows.
- If you cancel more than five weeks before the test date, you will get a refund after deducting a 25% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel the exam within five weeks of your exam date, no refund will be issued for your paid IELTS exam cost.
- There is also no refund if you don't attend the exam. However, if there's a solid medical reason for not attending the exam and the candidate provides evidence for the same, they will receive a refund after deducting local administration fees.
IELTS Rescheduling fee
Candidates have five weeks before their exam date to reschedule their exam and the new date must be scheduled within three months of the original test date. There will be a rescheduling fee of Rs.3,500 inclusive of all taxes.
- To reschedule the test date after three months, the candidate has to cancel the test, ask for a refund and book the test again.
- Note that you're allowed to reschedule the test only once. If you fail to appear for the test even on the new date due to unavoidable reasons, you'll forgo the IELTS exam fee that you paid.
- However, in case of illness, applicants can request your test center for a date transfer by presenting an original medical certificate along with a postponement application form within five days of the test date.
IELTS Retake Fee
There is no separate 'retaking' fee if the candidate wants to take the exam again. They have to register for the exam as they did originally by paying the full IELTS test registration fee of INR 16,250. Thus for retaking the IELTS exam, applicants will be paying the entire cost of the IELTS exam in India. The registration and the retake exam fee are the same.
IELTS Rechecking or Remarking Fee
If you are thinking about requesting a re-marking of your IELTS exam because you feel there may be an error in your marking, then it is best to do so six weeks after your test date. The reason is that if you fail to do so, you will lose the opportunity to request a re-marking.
- We recommend that you request a re-mark for your IELTS exam by submitting the EOR (Enquiry on Results) form. If you request a re-check/re-marking, you will need to pay the full amount of Rs. 8475.
- A new examiner will evaluate your paper from the first and score you according to your performance. You'll get your re-marked test results within 21 days of the application.
- If you receive a higher score after remarking, you'll receive a full refund of your remarking fee.
EOR administrative fees for various IELTS exam types are mentioned in a table:
|IELTS test type||Fees (INR)|
IELTS Special Handling Request
IELTS aims to provide a level-playing field for all candidates regardless of physical disability or special needs. For candidates with hearing, learning, visual or other disabilities, and difficulties, adequate arrangements can be made on request. Examples of assistance include:
- Braille question papers
- Additional exam time
- Lip-reading facility
- Speaking task cards
Candidates are required to inform their test center about their disabilities (or special needs) at least six weeks in advance to make use of these facilities.
Fee for Additional TRF (Test Report Form)
The IELTS test report form (TRF) shows your section-wise scores, overall band score as well as the CEFR equivalent of your IELTS band. The TRF is valid for two years from the date of issue.
To send TRF reports to additional institutes, the fee is:
- Electronic TRF report: Rs.250 each. This can be sent to all institutes that accept electronic IELTS scores.
- TRF reports via courier cost Rs.1,500 per address. You'll receive a tracking number and the TRF will be delivered within 4 business days.
- TRF reports via airmail cost Rs.250 per address. You'll not receive a tracking number in this cheaper alternative and the TRF will be delivered within 15 business days.
Scholarship for IELTS Exam Fee Waiver
The British Council and the Indian arm of IDP Education provide a cover for the IELTS registration fee to qualifying candidates.
To apply for the IELTS exam fee waiver, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be under 32 years old.
- Your family's income must be less than $250 per month (or the equivalent).
- You must not have taken the IELTS exam before.
- You must have at least an 80% average grade in secondary education.
The IELTS cost has to be paid first and if chosen for the exam scholarship, the candidate will be refunded the entire exam fee within 45 days of taking the test. You can avail the scholarship from Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship, Great Scholarship India, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Program, and British Council IELTS Awards.
IELTS Fee Reduction
You can't get a lower fee for your IELTS exam under any circumstances. You can apply for a full fee waiver as explained in the previous section. Many organizations also provide scholarships to meritorious students taking the IELTS test. You can use these scholarships to partially (or fully) pay for your IELTS exam.
Modes of payment for IELTS exam fee
IDP India offers many convenient options to pay the IELTS exam price like Netbanking, Debit/Credit card, and Paytm.
If you are planning to pay the IELTS exam fee online, you can use your Credit card / Debit card (Visa or Master) and Netbanking (E-wallet). You can register using the online registration system on the official website. Use the British council login to pay your IELTS exam fee online.
For payment, please ensure that the demand draft is drawn in favor of "IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi" and is made from the list of approved banks.
The list of approved banks are
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Axis Bank Ltd
- Bank of America
- Barclays Bank Plc
- Citi Bank
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- HSBC Deutsche Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab National Bank
- Punjab and Sind Bank
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Standard Chartered Bank
- State Bank of Hyderabad
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Mysore
- State Bank of Patiala
- State Bank of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- State Bank of Indore
- State Bank of Saurashtra
- UCO Bank
Alternatively, candidates can deposit cash in ICICI/HDFC bank branches through a customized deposit slip (for ICICI Bank / for HDFC Bank). It is mandatory to attach the original customer copy of the deposit slip along with the IELTS application form. Download the deposit slip from IELTS IDP India website or obtained from your nearest IELTS IDP branch office.
Make sure to pay the IELTS exam fee within 5 working days from registration (payment deadline).
FAQ for IELTS exam fee in India
1. How much is the IELTS exam fee in India?
The IELTS exam fee in India is ₹16,250, decided by the official exam board. The cost of the IELTS exam in India is the same for all the test centers including those in Chennai, Bangalore, Kerala, Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur, Pune, etc.
2. Can the IELTS exam fee in India be paid by cash or cheque?
No, the IELTS exam cost in India can be paid only through net banking or using a credit card/ debit card. Cash and cheque payments for IELTS exam costs are not accepted.
3. Does the IELTS exam fees in India 2023 be subject to change?
The IELTS registration cost was revised by the British Council and IDP. The IELTS application fee in India for 2023 is INR 16,250.
4. Why is the IELTS exam fee costly?
The IELTS exam is costly as this is a common language assessment test, accepted worldwide, and is conducted by famous organizations namely, British Council, IDP, and Cambridge. The answer sheet evaluations are also carried out by trained examiners individually.
5. How can I get a scholarship for IELTS?
You can get a scholarship for your IELTS score, by applying through the application form available on the British Council website. In the application, you will be given all the details like your IELTS score, recent photograph, contact details, etc.
6. Are there any ways to reduce your IELTS fee in India?
No, you cannot reduce your IELTS application fee in India. Irrespective of the conditions, your IELTS exam fee in India INR remains 16,250 rupees.
7. Is the IELTS exam fee refundable?
No, the IELTS exam fee is not refundable. However, if you wish to reschedule or cancel your IELTS exam, you may get a refund if you fulfill the terms and conditions.
8. How to pay the IELTS exam fee online?
The IELTS test fee in India can be paid online using the Credit or Debit card (Master and Visa) and net banking. You can use the online registration system to pay the fees while registering for the IELTS exam.
9. Why is the IELTS fee high?
IELTS is the standardized test taken by abroad education aspirants and job seekers. The exam fee is high for the following reasons,
- The exam is conducted across the globe by renowned organizations, British Council and Cambridge.
- The test is manually evaluated by trained and paid examiners.
- The test papers are created and reviewed by a group of experts to have an accurate evaluation of the language skill.
- The test score or the TRF is valid for 2 years.
10. How to register for the IELTS Examination?
Registering for the IELTS test is straightforward. You can either apply online or in person at one of the IDP India offices.
Here's the outline of the registration process.
- Visit the official IELTS website.
- Pick your test type and location.
- Select a test day and time slot from the calendar.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Enter your personal details.
- Type additional details about your address, purpose of taking the test, destination country, and more.
- Upload copies of your passport and other identification documents like your driver’s license, visa, etc
- Enter up to five organizations where your test report (TRF) has to be sent
- Review all the information before finalizing.
- Pay the test fee
- Print the acknowledgment slip
11. How to apply for the IELTS exam revaluation?
To get your IELTS exam evaluated again, you can apply for the EOR form using your official login. You can get the entire test or any one or two sections reviewed. The revaluation form is to be submitted within 6 weeks from the TRF release.
12. What is the Mode of Payment for Submitting IELTS Exam Fees?
There are 3 modes of payment available for submitting the IELTS exam fee in India. They are Demand draft, net banking, and Credit/Debit card payment.
13. Is the IELTS exam fee the same for all countries?
The IELTS exam fee can vary depending on the country of your choice. For example, the IELTS exam fee in Europe is 265 Euro, the Fee in America is 295 USD, and in Australia, it is AUS $330.
14. Can I pay with a demand draft while registering for the IELTS exam online?
Yes, you can register for the IELTS exam online by paying the fee in the demand draft. The Demand draft must be taken in favor of "IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi" from approved banks.
15. What is the minimum IELTS score to receive a scholarship?
To avail for an IELTS scholarship the student must have at least scored a band 6 in their actual IELTS exam.
About Author Prabu Rajasekaran
Prabu is a highly experienced content writer with expertise in English proficiency tests such as IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, and PTE. He develops a range of materials, including practice tests, mock exams, guides, and checklists to help students enhance their performance. Prabu is a meticulous researcher who collaborates with domain experts and counsellors to provide accurate guidance on study abroad consultancy, education loans, SOP, and admission processes in top colleges in Canada, USA, Ireland, Australia, and the UK.
More Articles Post by Prabu Rajasekaran
Kanan International is an IRCC-certified study abroad consultancy that offers reliable services, products, and solutions for students and education institutions. We support students throughout their study abroad journey, ensuring a hassle-free experience. Our expertise and commitment to excellence make us the go-to partner for expanding global horizons. The company provides coaching for IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, and SAT exams and services like visa consultation, accommodation, scholarship assistance, and education loans.
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Prabu Rajasekaran
Jobs in UK for Indians
Required IELTS Score for Australia
Letter of Recommendation (LOR) for Masters Programs
SOP for MS
15 Best IELTS Preparation Books
Academic Transcript Certificate: Meaning, Procedure, and Sample
Subscribe and get our weekly updates straight in your inbox.
Recent posts from Prabu Rajasekaran
A truly global higher education partner to learners and education institutions Support learners at every point in their global education journey with reliable services, products and solutions.
Kanan Int EdTech Inc
229, Yonge Street Suite 406 Toronto Ontario, Canada M5B 1N9
Kanan International Pvt. Ltd.
D-wing, 2nd Floor, Trident Complex, Ellora Park Vadiwadi Road, Vadodara, Gujarat 390007
IT/ Digital Campus
132, Habibullah Rd, Satyamurthy Nagar, T. Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600017
Study Abroad Consultants in Bangalore
Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai
Study Abroad Consultants in Surat
Study Abroad Consultants in Navsari
Study Abroad Consultants in Bardoli
Study Abroad Consultants in Ahmedabad
Study Abroad Consultants in Anand
Study Abroad Consultants in Khanna
Study Abroad Consultants in Nadiad
Study Abroad Consultants in Vadodara
IELTS Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
GRE Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
TOEFL Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
SAT Coaching in Vallabh Vidyanagar
January intake universities in UK
MBA in USA for Indian Students
Canada vs Australia for Indian Students
Copyright © 2023 KANAN.CO All rights reserved.