Study abroad from India: complete guide
- By Kanan Team
- Wed Jul 28 2021
Study Abroad from India: complete guide
Do you know that already over 70,000 Indian students have moved abroad for education in the last few months of 2021? This comes after a decrease of almost 50% applications for overseas admissions in 2020.
What does this news mean for you?
This means a degree overseas is still considered to be a remarkable choice for most Indian students. And they are adamant about their choices for several reasons. There are several benefits of studying abroad including high standards of research, job opportunities, stay-back options and better quality of life.
These are some of those benefits that draw lakhs of students towards education overseas. In India alone, the majority of Indian students studying abroad have been found to be from states like Andhra, Punjab, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka. Also, India is the second largest exporter of students next to China according to a report released in 2020.
Having said all that, there are still many students who can’t seem to get their head around how to study abroad from India? How much money is needed for overseas education? What are the requirements or exams you need to appear for to study abroad? Which countries are the best to study abroad? What benefits can you expect from studying abroad?
We are here to help you answer all your questions, and tell you step-by-step the correct way to study abroad from India. Being a leading study abroad consultancy franchise, we have dedicated experts to guide you with exams, admissions, applications, and study visas. Simply put, we are a one-stop shop for all you study abroad needs in countries like the USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland.
How to study abroad from India? 12 steps to help you plan better!
Here are 12 easy ways to study abroad from any city in India:
1. Plan in advance
One of the worst mistakes that students make while deciding to study abroad is not to have a plan. Making a plan about the course you want to study and the country where you want to study will make the next steps easier for you.
The study abroad advisors of Kanan International ensure that you receive the best advice about universities and colleges, accommodation, study visas, and so on. Our support will help you plan better and stay ahead of everything you need.
2. Prepare for exams
Moving abroad is not a cakewalk! There are many exams that you need to crack before you can think of applying for your admissions. IELTS is the most preferred exam in almost every country abroad.
You must spend a considerable amount of time preparing for such exams. Kanan International has got IELTS learning centres in various parts of the country. We train students for other exams as well, such as GRE, TOEFL, and GMAT. Our classes are flexible and we keep the batch size small. Register with us to know more!
3. Qualify exams
You must qualify the exam that you have opted for. By qualifying it means, you need to have the minimum marks which will enable you to apply for your admissions abroad, for example, in IELTS you need a minimum 5 or 6 band to apply for studies abroad. Bands less than 5 are usually not considered by most countries abroad. Another example, a minimum IELTS score for canada PR is 7.
Speak to a study abroad counsellor to know more about the band that you need to apply for a course in your preferred country.
4. Take help from an expert
Kanan International is one of the reputed study abroad consultants. We have dedicated experts to help you with overseas admissions. Our support services in India have helped over 20K students from various remote parts of the country. We regularly organize events on higher education abroad.
Follow our social pages and you’ll know what’s happening in the world of overseas education.
You must choose which country suits you best. Similarly, choose your preferred institute based on your academic profile. Unless you shortlist your choices, you won’t know what can and cannot work for you.
6. Start applying
Once you shortlist an institution or program, you must start applying for your admission. Every institute follows an application submission window. Also, all institutes abroad ensure that the applicant is aware whether their application is rejected or accepted.
When you take help from a study abroad counsellor, it becomes easier for you to apply, with an added advantage of staying informed about your application status.
7. Apply for scholarships
Indian students can apply for a range of scholarships to study overseas. Scholarships are available based on merit, community, academic preferences and country preferences. You must check the university website and also any government portal for more details on scholarships for international students.
8. Plan your budget
Planning a budget is an important step for your overseas education goal. It’s particularly more useful for those who come from a modest financial background. You don’t want to carry the burden of a huge loan after your studies!
9. Think or rethink about loans
The education loan burden can be huge and at times stressful for most students. Besides, it may take time to repay the loan. Always rethink before taking huge loans for studies abroad. International student debt is a serious problem that many countries face.
10. Apply for study visas
Getting study visas is not easy but can be done with proper planning and dedicated support. At Kanan, we have study visa experts who can help you with all your paperwork related to visas.
11. Attend pre-departure events
Pre-departure events can help you with accommodations, banking, and any additional information that you need before travelling abroad. Don’t miss such events!
12. Stay ready
Prepare yourself to leave your native country. Train your mind to think that you are independent already and all your problems are your own, and not your family’s. Tell yourself that you’re heading into a new world, and it’s going to be equally good or better than where you’re!
Best countries to study abroad for Indian students
Gone are the days when the USA was the only option that used to come to everyone’s mind for higher education opportunities. Students from all over the world have now moved ahead of the American dream.
Although the USA is still a personal favorite of many students for their studies, many other countries have become equally good alternatives.
Countries like Ireland, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and Australia are some of the best countries to study abroad for Indian students. Reasons for choosing such countries range from their research opportunities, lifestyle, better standards of living, to easy stay-back options.
Check out the best countries to study abroad for every Indian study abroad aspirant-
1. Australia - Australia is home to the finest institutions in the world with over 1000 universities to choose from. All colleges and universities in the nation fall under the Australian Qualifications Framework category. Australia has a diverse population with over 200 languages and dialects being spoken.
And this also makes it one of the most popular English-speakin countries. Although the cost of living could be high, you can apply for international scholarships to manage your studies.
2. Canada - Canada ranks no.1 in the best countries list, in terms of both quality of life and social purpose. There are many good places to study in Canada. It has been a popular destination for people from all backgrounds who want to migrate abroad. A vast population of the country is estimated to be composed of Indians.
Indian students can choose community colleges, technical colleges, and universities, and also apply for a large number of scholarships. In fact, it is one of the cheaper countries to study abroad.
3. Germany - Germany offers world-class education in the entire world. It has over 1700 study programmes at 380 recognised universities. German public universities offer free education though a small administration fee may be included. WIth over 3 lakh students from all over the world, the country is a most-chosen destination for many. If you are looking at studying overseas for free, then Germany could be your preferred option.
4. USA - If you need a larger-than-life experience, then the United States is the first option that comes to our mind. American dream is not just a phrase that people look forward to. It’s something that everyone wants to experience. Let us know which universities in America you’re looking at, and we’ll tell you what to do next.
5. UK - The United Kingdom is a personal favourite of those inclined towards a British outlook and education systems. There are world-class universities in the UK, but you need to watch out for the cost of education too.
6. New Zealand - This country has made a tremendous impact on the rest of the nations, with its policies and progressive ways of operating. New Zealand also has some top universities for international students to look for.
7. Singapore - Singapore has popular institutions like the NUS, known for its scientific research and development. The country has done tremendously well in the last few decades and has risen from poverty and a fallen economy. In Singapore, you’ll find a large group of people from different countries, which makes it ethnically diverse.
8. France - France is good for courses like finance, MBA, business, and management. You may have to know the French language if you wish to prolong your stay for resident visas.
9. Norway - Norway is more than just ‘Northern Lights’. It’s a beautiful country with breathtaking mountains and everything ‘scandinavian’. Both life sciences and engineering courses are popular in the country for international students.
10. Ireland - Famous for its castles, mountains, food and lifestyle, Ireland is also an equally sought-after study abroad destination. It’s home to the tech giants and some of the other top companies in the world. Being an IT hub, a vast majority of Indians looking for IT courses choose Ireland as their preferred country.
Take help from India's best study abroad consultancy franchise
Wondering where to study abroad after your 12th exams? Or are you a graduate looking for masters programmes abroad?
Speak to the counsellors of Kanan International. They will assist you with enumerable options abroad for your overseas admissions.
Kanan International specializes in overseas education. We have helped over 50K students choose institutes abroad to further their education. Our counseling team does a good job of connecting students with representatives from some of the top institutes worldwide.
You can sign up for such events and understand how to study abroad. Kanan International also offers a space for learning IELTS, TOEFL, GRE and GMAT.
Our trainers are from several reputed organizations and certified specialists in their domain. They have years of experience nurturing students from various backgrounds. Our database has thousands of institutes listed in countries like the USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, etc.
For more information about classes and admission assistance, you can speak to a counsellor or visit our site kanan.co and register. One of us will reach out to you!
Indian students studying abroad - insights!
Although the pandemic has made all of us question what our future would look like, we are all slowly getting back to the normal pace of our lives. This applies to study abroad aspirants as well. Students from all over the world are moving ahead faster than ever with their study abroad plans. In fact, in the beginning of 2021, several thousand Indian students started studying abroad.
Aspiration of middle-class families to study abroad
For someone it’s a dream to boost their economic reality, whereas for others it could be a choice for better education standards. Reasons can be many for someone to choose higher education abroad.
In India, the study abroad fever has gripped both high-income and middle-income families. With more benefits like scholarships, study abroad loans, and other incentives students from various strata of the Indian society can make their abroad education dream possible now.
In fact, for many middle-class families studying in the USA seems like a dream come true. But you’ll be surprised to know that there are so many other nations which are considered to be equally good alternatives to the USA.
A survey report by PIE news released in September 2020 mentioned that Indian students are increasingly moving to other countries like Germany, Canada and the UK, looking beyond the traditional American education dream.
Indian techies abroad
Ever since the IT boom in India, several other sectors, including non-IT, witnessed massive growth. People from all over the country started moving to big cities where the IT jobs were, and in general for jobs.
A huge chunk of population from rural parts of India also migrated to cities for better earning opportunities. The situation is still the same, except that many people are working from remote parts all over the country.
The population of techies [those working in IT sectors] has slowly made its way to countries abroad. In 2019 alone, 2000 Indian techies applied for work visas in Ireland. Japan is yet another country where Indian techies are heading to. That’s why companies like Wipro invest in training their employees with Japanese language skills.
Over the past few years, IT professionals have moved to countries like Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Belgium in search of better prospects. Given the countries’ overall work atmosphere and stay-back options, it becomes easier to explore more opportunities.
Countries with friendly immigration policies for Indian students
Why do people migrate to other countries?
- Find a much secure environment
- Escape from war-torn countries
- Seek better employment opportunities
- Uplift financial conditions
- Enjoy a better standard of living
- Pursue higher education in fields not available in the native country
- Enjoy better healthcare systems in other countries
Which countries can you migrate easily to?
Some of the countries where it’s easier to settle in for Indian students have been listed below -
- United Kingdom - In the UK, Indian students can stay back in the UK for 2 years after they graduate. In those 2 years, they are allowed to look for a job, and there are no minimum salary requirements to stay back.
- United States - You need an F1 visa to move to the USA. With an F1 visa, you’re eligible to stay for a year, but after applying for an OPT [optional practical training]. OPT allows you to apply for employment-authorised practical training in your field of study.
- Australia - The ‘land down under’ has a stay-back policy of 4 years for graduates, under post-study work rights [PSW]. You must apply for a 485 post-study visa in order to receive that privilege. You should also study a CRICOS registered course, and fulfil all the English language requirements needed to stay in Australia.
- Canada - Under the PGPW program, a student studying in Canada can stay back for 3 years. They can work in any role they want, and wherever they want.
- Ireland - Ireland is home to big techs like Google, Microsoft and Apple and other top pharma companies. Indian students are allowed to stay back for 2 years and look for employment in Ireland. A Green Card is needed to settle in the country.
- Sweden - Sweden allows graduates to stay back for 6 months and look for a job. And if 6 months is not enough to find a job, then the visa can be extended to 12 months.
- Germany - Graduates are allowed to stay for 18 months in Germany. Within those 18 months you’re allowed to work. You can apply for an EU Blue Card to prolong your stay and work. To settle in Germany, you should apply for a settlement permit.
- Singapore - You must apply for a long-term visit pass to stay in the country for 12 months. Once you find a job within those 12 months, your employer applies for an S pass on your behalf. If you have an average earning of over 4500 SGD, then you’re eligible for an employment pass. The higher the income, the greater the stability in Singapore.
- New Zealand - If you have completed a course from a recognised university, you are allowed 3 years of stay back in New Zealand.
- Norway - Norway gives you the opportunity to stay back for a year and look for employment.
Popular study abroad programmes for Indian students
1. Agricultural science
Agricultural science is a vast field encompassing fields like food production and processing, animal production, soil cultivation, harvesting, botany, dairy science, etc. This field is rapidly growing owing to the application of technology and massive demand for food production all over the world.
Countries like Canada, Germany, the USA, and Finland have good courses in agriculture. Check out the places to study agriculture courses abroad. You can apply at -
- University of Southern Queensland
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Delaware State University
- University of Saskatchewan
With a degree in agriculture and related fields, you can work as -
- Food scientists
- Wildlife biologist
- Plant geneticist
- Soil surveyor
2. Business and management
Business and management studies is for those who want to make it in the corporate sector. In this field, you can work as -
- Business analyst
- Financial analyst
- Human resources manager
Some of the popular institutes abroad for business and management courses -
- Iowa State University
- Northumbria University
- University of Liverpool
- National University of Ireland, Galway
Engineering is the first choice for many students who want to study abroad after 12th. There are so many engineering degrees one can look for - computer science, information technology, biotechnology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, etc.
After completing an engineering degree programme, you can choose to work as -
- Chemical engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Systems engineer
- Clemson University
- Louisiana State University
- City University of New York
4. Digital media and communications
We are governed by digital assets all around us. Every information that we share is digitally processed or recorded. Digital media plays a key role in how everyday information is shared and how it is consumed by the audience.
Digital media and communications is a growing field comprising topics like social media, audio and video production, content marketing, digital marketing, and graphic designing. It’s a gamut of all things digital that run a business. With a degree in this field, you can work in various roles, such as
- Television presenter
- Documentary filmmaker
- News reader
- Business writer
- Podcast creator
- Communications specialist
The universities where you can choose to study this subject are -
- University of Liverpool
- University of Brighton
- National University of Ireland, Galway
5. Environmental sciences
No one would have imagined how fast the field of environmental science would grow in the future. From a mere subject in schools, environmental science has become a much sought-after course. This is primarily because there is a serious need to understand our environment and the impact it has on us and vice-versa.
This field is vast and often interrelated with other branches of science and technology. In fact, technology plays an important role in the field of science related to environment, pollution, wildlife, forestry, and so on.
With a degree in environmental science you can work as a conservationist, biologist, forest officer, nature writer, photographer, consultant, etc. Owing to the growing concerns about climate change, you can volunteer as a climate activist and policy maker. Also, you can also think of venturing into entrepreneurship and setting up organizations that tackle growing problems, such as waste management.
Universities abroad offering environmental science related degrees are -
- The University of Melbourne
- University of Exeter
- Algonquin College
6. Hospitality and tourism
The tourism and hospitality industry has always been a fragile sector. However, it never stops to surprise those who love traveling. In fact, the sector plays an important role in boosting the economy. In this field, you can either work independently or choose to work for another business.
Universities for hospitality and tourism courses abroad -
- James Cook University
- Niagara College
- Le Cordon Bleu, New Zealand
Psychology is now being used in almost every organization to understand behavioural patterns of customers.There was a time when the subject was given little attention in terms of a money-making career option.
Now, things are different! Psychology is needed everywhere. Most data-driven decisions that companies make are based on the psychology of the users. It’s useful in deciding a company's marketing efforts, too.
Moreover, psychology plays a key role in understanding how and why mental health matters. We are living in a world where mental illness is no longer a stigma. Psychology helps in addressing such challenges related to mental trauma and illness, often overlapping with psychiatry.
WIth a degree in this ever-changing field, you can choose to work as -
- School Counsellor
- Clinical Psychologist
- Forensic Psychologist
- Sports Psychologist
Psychology courses abroad -
- San Francisco State University
- McMaster University
- Regent University
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Ball State University
Law has been a preferred choice for many students for years. It’s an exciting field riddled with lots of challenges. Depending on what your interests are you can choose to work as criminal lawyers, family lawyers, tax lawyers, corporate lawyers, etc.
Law courses abroad for you -
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Institute of Technology Carlow
- Iowa State University
- Swansea University
Medical degrees can be pursued in a large number of countries. Healthcare related fields are also growing in popularity. The pandemic has shown us that there’s a lot to be done in the healthcare system of the world, collectively.
Popular universities abroad for medical degrees
- Monash University
- The University of New South Wales
- RMIT University
- The University of Queensland
10. Cyber security
With the growing need for digital media comes the risk of losing digital data. Companies are always vigilant about who’s snooping on their data, whether they are safe from hackers, whether the customer data is safe, or whether the crucial transactions made by companies are in safe hands or not. That’s why cyber security experts are needed to protect individuals and organizations from cyber attacks.
Cybersecurity is a demanding field where the unemployment rate is low. In fact, there’s a huge skill gap in this field. It is a promising career for many computer science graduates who are looking for what to study after 12th science.
Universities abroad for cyber security courses are as follows -
- Macquarie University
- University of Chester
- Tennessee State University
- Metropolitan State University
11. Data science and artificial intelligence
Data science has become one of the most lucrative career options. Machine learning and artificial intelligence are used almost in all sectors to understand customer behaviour better. To pursue a career in data science, you need not have a degree in computer science or engineering anymore. In fact, it’s considered to be a most preferred career switch for many.
In this field you can choose to work as -
- Machine learning engineer
- Data engineer
- Data analyst
- Business analyst
- AI scientist
- Data scientist
The universities abroad for data science related courses are -
- Auckland University of Technology
- Victoria University of Wellington
- University of Canterbury
Take help from India's best study abroad franchise
For the past 24 years, Kanan International has been consistently delivering unique services for study abroad students. We are one of the leading study abroad consultants in India, with offices in all major cities like Chennai, Vadodara, Vapi, and Ahmedabad.
We are also one of the reputed training centres for IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT and SAT. Over 50,000 students have received admissions abroad through Kanan International. Our range of support services from Kanan Events, Kanan Prep, to Kanan Finder help everyone identify and choose the right courses and programmes.
We enjoy the reputation of being associated with leading universities and colleges across the world. Our aim is to make study abroad accessible for everyone though it has its own set of challenges.
Studying abroad is a daunting task. There are too many things to be taken care of. However, the outcome is beautiful and the journey is equally exciting.
We know that the pandemic has discouraged many of you. But with an increasing number of vaccinations being done, you have a chance to look beyond the obstacles.
As we mentioned in the beginning that close to 70K students have already moved abroad for higher education in 2021, there’s only hope that one can think of in this respect. Your study abroad dreams can be turned into a reality, and can be done within a short time.
All you need to do is ask for some help! We are here to assist you with study abroad opportunities. Speak to a Kanan expert today!
Register For Free Visa Consultation