IELTS writing task 2 is the second part of the IELTS writing test, where you will be given point of view, problem or argument and demand you to respond to that in the form of an essay. You have to write an essay of at least 250 words within 40 minutes. Your IELTS writing task 2 essay must be formal in style. Make sure you read the task properly to give a full and relevant response.
IELTS writing task 2 carries more weight in marking compared to IELTS writing task 1. IELTS writing task 2 essay test assesses your ability to write in a well-organised manner, relevant, appropriate examples to support your ideas, proper usage of grammar and language. In this blog, you will get writing task 2 topics with answers and necessary information required to score a high band score in the IELTS writing test.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Test Information
- You have to complete the IELTS writing task 2 essay in under 40 minutes. Try to manage your time and provide an appropriate response.
- Your essay must be at least 250 words in length. Test takers' scores will be affected if an essay is less than 250 words.
- IELTS writing task 2 carries 66% of your total writing marks.
- Academic writing task 2 essay is formal in style. There are 5 main types of essay in IELTS writing task 2, Opinion essays, Discussion essays, Problem solution essays, Advantages and disadvantages essays and Double question essays
- General writing task 2 is also similar to AC writing task 2. The way has to be written and the scoring method all are the same. The only difference is that GT essay questions are often simpler and easier.
- IELTS writing task 2 band descriptors are, Task response, Coherence & Cohesion, Vocabulary and Grammar. Each carries 25% of marks.
Check out IELTS writing task 2 topics for practice
Writing task 2 Essay Structure
Having a structure will be useful for responding to writing task 2 essay questions. This IELTS writing task 2 band 9 essay structure will be used in various ways according to the essay types. The common essay framework to write essays for task 2 is given below
Once again, this is a general IELTS writing task 2 essay structure, you can use this format for writing different types of essays. By following the writing task 2 essay structure, you can write whatever is required to get a high band score in the IELTS writing test.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Marking criteria
In IELTS writing task 2, you have to present a clear, relevant and well organised argument with appropriate examples. You need to use your language in an appropriate and relevant way. These are some of the factors the examiner is looking for when they are scoring your answers. There are four performance descriptors in writing task 2,
- Grammatical range and accuracy: The range and accurate usage of grammar will be measured in writing tasks.
- Lexical resources: The usage of vocabulary is tested, how accurately and appropriately it is used by the candidates.
- Task response: It refers to the test taker’s ability to formulate and develop a position, giving appropriate evidence and supporting ideas. The response must be at least 250 words. Scripts less than 250 words will be penalised by the examiner.
- Coherence and cohesion: It refers to the overall clarity and fluency of an essay. Coherence means how the ideas are organised and linked to each other in a sequential manner. Cohesiveness denotes how properly and appropriately cohesive devices are used.
These criteria are assessed for IELTS writing task 2 essays. You have to keep your IELTS preparation in a way to meet all of the 4 band descriptors.
Using this IELTS writing task 2 vocabulary might help you in increasing your band scores as it is one of the vital marking criteria.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Band Descriptors
The four IELTS writing task 2 band descriptors are task achievement or task response, coherence and cohesion, grammatical range and accuracy, and lexical resource. Each carries 25% of marks in the final score
We wrote IELTS writing band descriptors in detail. We provided tables for all the band descriptors and for all the band scores. Make use of it.
Types of Essays in IELTS Writing Task 2
In IELTS writing task 2, there are 5 IELTS writing task 2 essay types that you have to prepare for. You can find those essay types in the following list,
- Opinion essay: These sorts of essays are also called agree or disagree essays or argumentative essays. In this type of essay, you will be asked to give your opinion to the given statement.
- Advantage disadvantage essay: In this essay type, you have to write about the advantages and disadvantages to the given statement.
- Problem and solution essay: In this type of essay, you have to discuss the causes of the problem and suggest solutions to the given statement.
- Double question essay: This essay type is also called ‘direct question’ or ‘two questions’. It consists of one statement with two different questions. You have to respond to the two questions fully.
- Discuss both views essay: In this type of essay, you need to discuss both sides of the argument. Your opinion also could be asked.
Check out IELTS writing task 2 sample to understand the writing essay structures
IELTS Writing Task 2 Sample Answers
In IELTS writing task 2, you have to write an essay as a response to a premise or statement. Make sure you read the question properly to address all the parts. Analyze the following IELTS writing task 2 sample answers to achieve a higher band score in the IELTS writing exam.
IELTS Writing task 2 Opinion essay
Some people say history is one of the most important school subjects. Other people think that in today‘s world subjects like Science and Technology are more important than History. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Several people say that history must be studied by all the students. Others think that in this technological world, subjects like science and technology have to be given more importance than History. In my perspective, both of the subjects can add value to the student’s life, which I will discuss in this essay.
To start with, as history preserves our past, it has to be taught to the students. Then only students understand how much of the sacrifices were done by the Martyrs. They can even learn life lessons from it. Even more importantly, students can learn old traditions and cultures and also how our ancestors conducted their life. In this way, history is like a bridge which connects past and future. It also teaches them how much improvements were made. For example, when the plane was made, it was invented for only one person. But, as the time goes, it has been made more spacious with the help of past research. Similar to this, we can create a better future by studying the past.
Science and technology also has its own place of significance. In this contemporary world, mostly everything is related to technology. So, this subject will be helpful both in the present and in future. For instance, if students learn a computer science subject then they can get a job where computer related study is required.
To conclude, I believe that both subjects are having an advantage for students' lives. Both fields are important since all the technologies taken from the past and improved in different and unique ways.
Read IELTS writing task 2 agree disagree essay to understand the opinion essay answering format.
IELTS Writing task 2 Advantages and disadvantages essay
At present time the population of some countries includes a relatively large number of young adults compared with the number of older people. Does the advantage of this situation outweigh the disadvantages?
These days numerous countries face the problem of overpopulation. Without a doubt, all age groups contribute to build the nation in a better way. Several people prefer the argument which says the increased youth population can bring benefits than the older population. This will analyze both sides and bring out the negative and positive sides.
To start, the younger population has been increasing for 12 years. It yields lots of advantages. Youth crowds can survive in the pressure-inducing work environment. They can handle complicated situations and tackle with heavy equipment compared to older people. Also, youth can put in hard work and smartwork, whereas they have a variety of abilities required for the present. This creativity level enables them to connect with artificial intelligence and many other talents. The Younger generation keeps on updating their knowledge while older people don’t. They stick to their old methods and strategies. They are more stubborn with their techniques, disregarding the new and innovative methods.
Nevertheless, the older generation has a huge amount of knowledge, past experiences, sense, specific talents and knowledge. For example, specifically in the motor mechanic industry older workers have more experience with the vehicles and spare parts compared to trainers. One important disadvantage is that their knowledge could be outdated and not fit with the modern world.
To conclude, all humans are valuable and important regardless of age. Each person puts their effort and strength to build up the economy of the country and help to develop the world. And, each person has their own talent to create novel things that improve society.
Know more about the IELTS writing task 2 advantages disadvantages essay to crack task 2 with a higher band score.
IELTS Writing task 2 Problem and Solution essay
Doctors in some countries say that people nowadays do not get enough physical exercise. What are the causes? What are the solutions?
In many nations, it is noted that lack of physical exercise causes a series of diseases. In this essay, I shall analyze the main causes and provide some solutions to make the situations better.
There are various reasons to understand why this is happening and the major one is that as we are living in a fast-paced fleeting society, we are following complex schedules so the work time and personal time get merged, if we want promotion or get some better financial rewards. Also, people are unaware of the negative effects of not getting enough exercise. For example, a recent study in Japan found that people who are not doing an appropriate exercise suffer from diseases, including high blood pressure and diabetes.
Though the solutions are not simple, it can be formulated and applied. To overcome and solve this problem, people need to know the importance of maintaining a work-life balance which is beneficial for us to keep our life better and by separating the private time from work time, the productivity can be increased. Additionally, the government can create new facilities which encourage people participation. For example, jogging at night can be helpful as it induces sleep and unties the stresses from the work. So, these methods are important for us to deal with these situations.
In conclusion, nowadays people are getting away from exercise. This essay analyzed the main reasons for this issue and also developed some methods such as increasing individual’s awareness and offering more free facilities to make the situation better.
Check out IELTS writing task 2 problem and solution essay to understand how to answer the particular essay type.
IELTS Writing task 2 Double question essay
In many countries, people now wear western clothes such as suits and jeans rather than traditional clothing.
Why is this the case?
Is this a positive or negative development?
As the media advances, people are more attracted to western outfits instead of conventional dressing. Concerning the diverse cultures, I strongly believe that this trend is useful for the host nations.
In the bloom of globalization, the role of the media on spreading western influence in fashion is enormous. In a simplistic sense, people are exposed western based items and clothes in social media networking sites, it slowly reshapes the clothing styles and choices of the locals, especially the younger generation. After the Vietnamese students watched Hollywood movies and read American fashion magazines, they often generated new ideas of dressing. However, mass production assists the consumers all over the world, which leads to western-based clothes being shipped worldwide. In this way, those garments become normal in non-Western countries.
As a consequence, westernization expands the host culture, specifically costume and tradition. To put it differently, after the influence of the western styles on international stylists and models are exhibited the collections combine exotic and traditional values. To add, a lot of mix-up dresses can be seen on the streets; a popular example is Korean adolescents using mixture clothing styles. This trend expresses that cultural globalization not only promotes the local fashion industry but also induces a wide range of creative clothing in daily life, as a result, it improves the diversity of most traditions.
To sum up, media and mass production diversifies the Western-impact clothing among different cultures and countries. But, the traditional value in fashion should not be negated so each inhabitant should be aware of their conventional dresses.
Drafting the IELTS writing task 2 double question essay is simple if you follow the appropriate essay structure.
IELTS Writing task 2 Discuss both views essay
There seems to be an increasing number of serious crimes committed each year. While some think the best way is to use the death penalty as a deterrent, many people believe that other measure will be needed. Discuss both sides.
The cases of major crimes have gradually increased on a yearly basis. Some people think that capital punishment could be the greatest method to resolve the problem, while others have a viewpoint that various methods is required. This essay will discuss these two sides in detail.
On the one hand, several individuals thinks that judicial murder is the great way to minimise the illegal actions. It is because by killing the perpetrators of such acts, it could be a lesson for the masses, fearing the consequences of an illegal act. It makes them control those actions to carry out. For example, the crime rate is very low in China and it is related to the fact that the government punishes the persons found guilty by hanging. The idea behind this is that terminating wrong doers prevents them from acting opposed to laws.
On the other hand, some individuals opinionated alternative ways have to be implemented to reduce the wrong acts. In judicial murder, some men who were affected are not actually done improper or unethical legal proceedings. For instance, research done on some parts of Asia show that nine out of ten persons killed were innocent. For this reason, it is speculated that other ways have to be adopted in reducing the violations of the law.
In conclusion, on an annual basis, it is found that an increasing number of major misdeeds. The way to prevent the wrong actions is by execution, whereas others disagree. This essay analyzed various aspects and perspectives.
Check out the answering format for the IELTS writing task 2 discuss both views essay to understand the essay structure.
Download the IELTS Writing Task 2 with answers pdf for future reference
IELTS Writing Task 2 Tips - Steps to Get Band 8
- When you are answering a question, cover all the parts. It means, you have to present one view, present another view and present your opinion. These 3 things show the examiner that you have addressed all parts of the task.
- Develop a clear position throughout the essay. Though you present multiple points of view, you should not change the position you have taken. Examiner must know what you are thinking about the position.
- Structure your essay properly to present and develop your ideas. In the introduction paragraph, give your view and in subsequent paragraphs present your important idea and elaborate it in further. In conclusion, give your opinion clearly.
- Use linking devices or transition words to make your answer cohesive. Linking words means the words and phrases that connect your sentences and ideas together. Some of the linkers are, on one hand, on the other hand, whereas, because, However, Similarly, etc.
- Use a range of proper and appropriate vocabulary to communicate your ideas and thoughts to the examiner, Use collocation, idioms and phrases to prove that you can use a range of vocabulary. Also, check the spelling errors after you complete the test.
- Grammatical structures have to be used correctly. If you want to get band 7 and above, then you need to have an expertise in simple and complex sentences. It is important to produce error-free sentences frequently. Try to practice and analyze with the aim of improving your grammatical sense to enhance your grammar skills.
- After you complete the essay, check all the aspects of the essays such as whether you answered all the parts, used paragraphs, linkers, punctuation, grammar, spelling errors, complex sentence structures etc.
- Check the word count of your essay. You have to write at least 250 words for writing task 2 essay. Your marks will be affected if your essay has less word count.
You can know more IELTS writing task 2 tips to get familiar with this task 2 question types.
Difference between IELTS general writing task 2 and academic writing task 2
IELTS Academic Writing Task 2
- In the IELTS Academic writing task 2, the difficulty level of the question is kind of difficult compared to General writing task 2.
- IELTS academic writing task 2 topics will come under the category of family, TV, schools, communication, etc.
- IELTS academic writing task 2 types are similar in both academic and general writing task 2.
- You have to answer for writing academic task 2 essay with at least 250 words, which is the same for general training writing also.
IELTS General Writing Task 2
- The questions of the IELTS General writing task 2 are slightly easier compared to IELTS academic writing task 2.
- The IELTS general writing task 2 topics covers a wide range of topics.
- The essay types, marking and scoring are all same in both IELTS academic and IELTS general training writing task 2.
- One of the IELTS band descriptors is different in academic and general training task 2. For writing task 2 academic, task achievement will be measured. On the other hand, for IELTS general writing task 2, task response will be assessed.
Writing Task 2 Model Answers
- With an increasing population communicating via the internet and text messaging, face-to-face communication will become a thing of the past. To what extent do you agree?
Click With an increasing population communicating via the internet to get model answers for four different band scores.
- The responsibility to prevent global environmental damage is on politicians rather than individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Click The responsibility to prevent global environmental damage to get sample answers for the given question
- Creative artists should always be given the freedom to express their own ideas in words, pictures, music, or film, in whichever way they wish. There should be no government restrictions on what they do. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this option?
Click Creative artists should be given freedom to get model answers for various band scores
- Parents should encourage children to spend less time studying and more time doing physical activities. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Click Parents should encourage physical activity to get access to various band scores essay
- Without capital punishment (the death penalty), our lives are less secure and crimes of violence increase. Capital punishment is essential to controlling violence in society. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Click capital punishments essay IELTS to get different sample answers
Advantage Disadvantage Essay
- Companies spend millions each year on advertising online, in magazines and on billboards. These adverts can encourage people to buy products that they do not really need. What are the positive and negative effects of consumerism?
Click Companies spend millions each year on advertising to get four different band score essays
- More and more businesses, as well as individuals, are choosing to communicate either professionally or socially using technology rather than being face to face. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using technology for communicating
Click More and More businesses as well as individuals to get various band score essays
- Modern technology has promoted easy and fast access to information. Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
Click Modern technology has promoted easy and fast access to information to get various band scores for the given question
- New technologies have changed the way children spend their free time. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages
Click advantages and disadvantages of technology to get all four band scores essays
- Some teachers think that international student exchange would be beneficial for all teenage school students. Do you think its advantages will outweigh the disadvantages?
Click teachers think that International Student Exchange to read all band score essays
Problem and solution Essay
- An increasing number of children are overweight, which could result in many problems when they grow older, both in terms of their health and health care costs. Why do you think so many children are overweight? What could be done to solve this problem?
Click An increasing number of children are overweight to get sample answers for the given question.
- Some sports are considered extremely dangerous, but many people still like them. Why do people take part in dangerous sports? Give some suggestions on how to deal with these dangers
Click Some sports are extremely dangerous to get model answers.
- Many offenders commit more crimes after serving their first punishment. Why is this happening and what measures can be taken?
Click many offenders commit more crimes to get sample answers for the given question.
- Bullying is a big problem in many schools. What do you think are the causes of this? What solutions can you suggest?
Click bullying is a big problem in many schools to get access to sample answers.
Double Question Essay
- In many places, prisons are overcrowded and expensive for governments to maintain. Yet, when offenders are released, they end up back in prison a short while later. Do prisons work? Should law breakers be rehabilitated or punished?
Click In many places prisons are overcrowded to get sample answers
- Finding job satisfaction is considered to be a luxury in many developing countries. Why do you think that is? Do you think job satisfaction is important?
Click Finding job satisfaction is considered to be a luxury to read model answers for the given essay question
- Today family members eat fewer meals together. Why is this? Is this a positive or negative trend?
Click Today family members eat fewer meals together to get sample answers for the given question
- Many old buildings are protected by law because they are part of a nation's history. However, some people think old buildings should be knocked down to make way for new ones because people need houses and offices. How important is it to maintain old buildings? Should history stand in the way of progress?
Click many old buildings are protected by law to understand the four different band score model essays
- News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence these decisions? Have we become used to bad news? Would it be better if more good news was reported?
Click news editors decide what to broadcast to get sample essays for the given question type
Discuss both views Essay
- Computers are now the basis of the modern world. They should therefore be introduced into classrooms, and their programs used for direct teaching purposes. However, dependence on computers in teaching may carry a certain degree of risk to students. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Click Computers are now the basis of the modern world to get model answers for four different band scores
- Many animal species in the world are becoming extinct nowadays. Some people say that countries and individuals should protect these animals from dying out, while others say we should concentrate more on the problems of human beings. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Click Many animal species in the world are becoming extinct nowadays to get four different band score essays
- Nowadays, many families have both parents working. Some working parents believe that other family members like grandparents can take care of their children, while others think childcare centers can provide the best care. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Click Nowadays many families have both parents working to get four different band score essays
- In many countries, good schools and medical facilities are available only in cities. Some people think new teachers and doctors should work in rural areas for few years, but others think everyone should be free to choose where they work. Discuss and give your opinion.
Click in many countries good schools and medical facilities to get various model essays
- All parents want the best opportunity for their children. There are some people who think that schools should teach children specific skills but others think that having a range of subjects is better for a child’s future. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Click all parents want the best opportunity for their children to get different band score sample essays
In this blog, we have covered all useful information about IELTS writing task 2. Make this information a part of your IELTS preparation. Practice the given IELTS writing resources to obtain a good band score.
IELTS writing task 2 - FAQs
1. Do IELTS Writing Task 2 essays repeat ?
No. IELTS Writing Task 2 Essay questions never repeat, topics could be repeated.
2. Can we write 300 words in IELTS writing task 2 ?
Yes, you can write. But, make sure you present your ideas clearly and try to complete them within the time limit. That is the only concern. It is the way to achieve an IELTS writing task 2 band 9 score.
3. Can I retake IELTS writing only ?
No, you cannot retake just one module. You have to take all of the four modules: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
4. What is the penalty in the IELTS writing test ?
You will be penalized for writing less than 250 words in the IELTS writing task 2.
5. Can we use bullet points in IELTS writing ?
No, you should not use bullet points, headings and numbers. Make sure to include the following elements in the writing task 2 essay: Introduction, Body Paragraphs and Conclusion.
6. Can we use idioms in IELTS writing task 2 ?
Usually, idioms come under the informal language. So, it's inappropriate to use the idioms in the IELTS writing task 2 essay.
7. How can I get 8 in IELTS writing Task 2?
You need to follow several steps that help you to get a good IELTS writing task 2 band 9 score. Make sure your answer is relevant, organize the essay structure perfectly, right spellings and have to be addressed all parts of the question.